Issuance Of US Dollar Denominated Insurance Policies
FE Circular No. 10 of 2017
Nov 01, 2017
The Presidents/Chief Executives of all
Authorized Dealers in Foreign Exchange
Dear Sirs / Madam,
Issuance of US Dollar denominated Insurance Policies
Attention of Authorized Dealers is invited to instructions contained in Para 16, Chapter 15 of the Foreign Exchange Manual-2017, which allow issuance of PKR insurance cover in Pakistan as mentioned therein.
2. It has now been decided to allow resident insurance companies, rated at least as \"A\" by any approved rating agency of Pakistan, to issue US Dollar denominated insurance policies on notional basis to meet the condition of foreign lenders for foreign currency loans to be raised under Para 8, Chapter 19 of Foreign Exchange Manual or for the projects undertaken in Pakistan as part of bilateral agreement between Government of Pakistan and a foreign country/multilateral agency.
3. The insurance company intending to issue US Dollar denominated insurance policy will submit an application for prior approval to the Director, Exchange Policy Department, State Bank of Pakistan, Karachi through an Authorized Dealer along with an explicit recommendation letter from the Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) for each proposal.
4. The terms and conditions governing such insurance covers/policies shall be as follows:
The insurance company will receive the premium from the applicant only in equivalent PKR.
The payment of claim to the resident company will be made in equivalent PKR, wherever applicable.
The insurance company will have the option to get reinsurance from any foreign reinsurer upto 99% of the sum assured.
The payment of reinsurance premium by the insurance company will be subject to observance of all applicable rules, regulations as defined under Chapter 15 of the Foreign Exchange Manual and those issued from time to time.
The reinsurance claims to the extent of outstanding liability related to the foreign loans may be paid directly to the foreign lenders by reinsurers. The remaining amount of reinsurance claim will, however, be repatriated into Pakistan and paid to the claimant in equivalent PKR.
The insurance policy document/instrument issued by the resident insurance company to the concerned client must disclose, interalia, above mentioned clauses.
5. All other terms and conditions shall remain unchanged.
6. Authorized Dealers are advised to bring the above contents to the notice of all their constituents in order to ensure meticulous compliance.
Encl: As above
Fazal Mahmood (Director)